The main entity is the product which,
- has values,
- belongs to a family,
- is positioned in many categories.
Each product value is linked to a product and an attribute.
The product data model is structured as Entity - Attribute - Value.
An attribute defines the type and the properties of a value.
Native types are:
- identifier, ex: the SKU
- text, ex: the name
- text-area, ex: the description
- simple select, ex: the size with values S, M, L
- multi select, ex: the color with values red, blue, purple
- price collection, ex: the price
- number, ex: the number of processors
- boolean, ex: has a promotion
- date, ex: the end of a promotion
- file, ex: a technical doc attachment
- image, ex: a thumbnail
- metric, ex: a length
Each type of attribute supports some general and dedicated properties.
An attribute with an activated localized property has different values for each locale, eg: French and English
A scoped attribute has different value for each channel, eg: e-commerce and mobile
An attribute can be localized and scoped, and therefore have different values for each combination of locale and channel, eg: e-commerce - French, e-commerce English, etc.
Family and Completeness¶
The family defines the list of attributes of a product, you can also add some optional attributes for a dedicated product.
Except the identifier attribute (usually the SKU), there is no required attribute for a product.
An attribute is expected for a channel, for instance, description can be required for e-commerce but not for mobile.
The product completeness is calculated for each channel and locale combination.